The Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland (ALCI) was founded in 1990. The purpose of the Association is to promote the professional development, advancement and recognition of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) for the benefit of breastfeeding infants and children, mothers, families and the wider community.
The goals of the Association are to:
- provide for education, research, communication, networking and support among International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and other health workers concerned with breastfeeding and human lactation.
- foster universal awareness of IBCLC as the necessary qualification for lactation consultants (or those specialising in lactation).
- act as the advisory authority on issues relating to breastfeeding and human lactation.
- raise awareness of breastfeeding and human milk feeding as essential components for wealth, well-being and disease prevention.
- support the implementations of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes and subsequent resolutions of the World Health Assembly, and heighten the recognition of the consequences of artificial feeding.
- support other initiatives and organisations whose goals and objectives are consistent with the mission of the association.
- ensure that the necessary structure and supports are in place to facilitate the development and activities of the association.
The Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland is represented on the National Breastfeeding Strategy Implementation Committee and the Advisory Committee of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in Ireland. ALCI is affiliated to the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA), the global association for health workers who specialise in breastfeeding. ILCA is a founding and participating member of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding (WABA), and has NGO status with WHO and United Nations organizations such as UNICEF. For information on ILCA, visit: www.ilca.org
Current ALCI Council Members:
- President – Margaret Hynes IBCLC, Co. Limerick
- Vice President – Meabh Anne McNamara IBCLC, Co. Kildare
- Treasurer – Johanna Riley Cusack IBCLC, Co. Clare
- Secretary – Carol Coleman IBCLC, Co. Dublin
- General Council Member – Genevieve Becker IBCLC, Co. Galway
- General Council Member – Margaret Murphy IBCLC, Co. Cork
- General Council Member – Audrey McVeigh Clarke IBCLC, Co. Galway