Type of membership
Categories of membership are contained in the Constitution.
- The two categories are Full IBCLC Membership and Associate Membership.
- The Associate Membership is sub-divided:
- Associate Membership is open to institutions and other entities that wish to be associated with ALCI. This also covers others interested in the care of the breastfeeding mother and baby.
- Student Membership: This is open to full time educational students.
- Proof of qualification to join as a full member will be a copy of current IBCLE certification/registration number or email it to email@example.com.
- Proof of qualification to join as a Student Member will be a photo or photocopy of your current student ID below or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All ALCI members support the purpose of the organisation. Increasingly, employers, mothers and health insurers look for membership of ALCI as indicating commitment to professional standards.
Membership is suitable for
- Individuals studying to become IBCLCs
- Midwives, Public health nurses & Health visitors
- Practice nurses, Paediatric nurses & Neonatal nurses
- Paediatricians, Obstetricians & GPs
- Health promotion specialists
- Parent craft/antenatal educators
- Students of the above professions
- Educators and researchers
- Community breastfeeding counsellors
Associate members are not IBCLCs and may not use their membership of ALCI for professional promotion. Associate Members receive all regular emails and advance notice of all ALCI events, but are not eligible to vote at the AGM or stand for election.
Membership runs from February 1st to January 31st each year.
ALCI is an all island organisation.
Why join ALCI?
Benefits of Membership include:
- Member’s Discount to all ALCI Events, with noted presenters, new research and evidence based practice discussions, CERPs awarded
- ALCI Members Only (low cost) events, CERPs awarded.
- Discounted Rate to ALCI’s National Conference, CERPs awarded.
- Regular emails to keep members up to date with activities and continuing education about breastfeeding issues and events
- Access to a Facebook Discussion and Support Groups for ALCI members only
- Listing in, and a copy of, an emailed ALCI members directory
- Access to Private Practice Listing on the ALCI website*,
- ALCI cash bursary to attend a breastfeeding related educational event
- Skills development through participation in various task groups and committees
- Representation on National Breastfeeding Strategy Committee, Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative National Committee, Baby Feeding Law Group and through National consultations
- Networking and support among IBCLCs in Ireland and Internationally
- Full members have the right to vote* for ALCI Council and on items relevant to the Association’s purpose, goals and functioning
- Access to ALCI Member only Webinars
- Access to a team networking Community
- Access to ALCI’s Scholarship’s Program
- Being connected with enthusiastic like-minded people
Follow ALCI on: