What is ALCI?
The Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland (ALCI) was founded in 1990. The purpose of the Association is to promote the professional development, advancement and recognition of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) for the benefit of breastfeeding infants and children, mothers, families and the wider community.
The goals of the Association are to:
- provide education, communication, networking and support among International Board Certified Lactation Consultants and other health workers concerned with breastfeeding and human lactation.
- foster universal awareness of IBCLC as the necessary qualification for lactation consultants.
- act as the advisory authority on issues relating to breastfeeding and human lactation.
- raise awareness of breastfeeding and human milk feeding as essential components for wealth, well-being and disease prevention.
- support the implementations of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes and subsequent resolutions of the World Health Assembly, and heighten the recognition of the consequences of artificial feeding
- support other initiatives and organisations whose goals and objectives are consistent with the mission of the association.
- ensure that the necessary structure and supports are in place to facilitate the development and activities of the association.
Click here for the ALCI Constitution.
The Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland is a Global Partner of International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA), the global association for health workers who specialise in breastfeeding. ILCA is a founding and participating member of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding (WABA) , and has NGO status with WHO and United Nations organizations such as UNICEF.
The current ALCI Council are:
President: Lorraine O’Hagan IBCLC, Co. Kildare
Immediate Past President: Sue Jameson IBCLC, Co. Dublin
Vice President: Stephanie Murray IBCLC, Co. Wexford
Treasurer: Nicola Clarke IBCLC, Co. Dublin
Secretary: Niamh Kennelly IBCLC, Co. Kerry
PRO: Maria O’Sullivan IBCLC, Co. Cork
General Council Member: Naomi Hurley IBCLC, Co. Dublin
General Council Member: Mairead O’Sullivan IBCLC, Co. Kerry
General Council Member: Kathryn Downey IBCLC, Co. Dublin