To join ALCI, just download our membership form
Full membership is currently for certified International Board Certified Lactation Consultants ( IBCLC).
Associated membership is available for individuals who are not a currently certified IBCLC.
Institutional membership is available to groups, institutions and other entities that wish to be associated with the Association
Who should join ALCI?
Membership of ALCI is open to International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (Full Membership), institutions and other entities that wish to be associated with ALCI (Institutional Membership) and any others interested in the care of the breastfeeding mother and her baby (Associate Membership).
Associate Membership is appropriate for
- Individuals studying to become IBCLCs
- Midwives, Public health nurses & Health visitors
- Practice nurses, Paediatric nurses & Neonatal nurses
- Paediatricians, Obstetricians & GPs
- Health promotion specialists
- Parent craft/antenatal educators
- Students of the above professions
- Educators and researchers
- Community breastfeeding counsellors
Associate members are not IBCLCs and may not use their membership of ALCI for professional promotion. Institutional members receive 6 copies of each newsletter and advance notice of all ALCI events, but are not eligible to claim event discounts, vote at the AGM or stand for election. Membership runs from march 1st to February 28th each year. Any new member joining after March 1st will receive the current newsletter and subsequent mailings for the membership year. Anyone who joins on or after the AGM in October will pay half yearly rates and be a member until February 28th. ALCI is an all island organization.
Why join ALCI?
Benefits of Membership include:
An Annual Conference in the Autumn and an Annual Spring Study Day, with noted presenters, new research and evidence based practice discussions.
- A member’s discount for attendance at ALCI events
- A regular newsletter to keep up to date with activities and continuing education
- Opportunities to develop skills through participation in task groups and committees
- Continuing education credits (CERPs)
- Inclusion in Private Practice Directory, Speakers Directory and Educational Directory (as appropriate) which are publicly accessible, to facilitate the professional development of ALCI members
- Networking and support
- Membership directory to assist networking
- Bursaries to attend breastfeeding events
- Representation on national and international breastfeeding committees and consultations
- Right to vote for Council, and on items relevant to the Association purpose and goals*
- Right to be nominated for election to a Council position**
* Membership benefit for Full and Associate Members only.
** Membership benefit for Full members only.
For detailed, up-to-date information on becoming a Lactation Consultant, just contact ALCI on the contact link above.