Annual Conference of the Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland
Friday 4th and Saturday 5th October 2013
Green Isle Hotel, Clondalkin, Dublin 22
The use of appropriate language for promoting and supporting breastfeeding and creating realistic breastfeeding expectations for both parents and health workers are the focus for the upcoming Annual ALCI Conference.
With 10 plenary presentations and 3 workshops, over 2 days, plus research posters, networking, new product information and much more, the ALCI Annual Conference is the premier event for health workers involved in assisting breastfeeding in Ireland.
– The Conference will be opened by Ms Frances Fitzgerald, Minister for Children & Youth Affairs.
– Barbara Wilson Clay, IBCLC, world renowned presenter, will speak on Guilt and Infant Feeding Choices; How Language Affects Expectations; Assessing Lactation Acuity: big problem or little problem?; Why is the Baby Sleepy?; and Why No Milk?
– Siobhan Hourigan, National Breastfeeding Coordinator and Mary O’Connor, IBCLC, will discuss Community breastfeeding initiatives for change and the introduction of a pilot community support programme in Kerry.
– Aileen Doyle, IBCLC and Mary O’Rourke will present findings from their recent research studies on practice related issues with breastfeeding in Ireland.
– Workshops on Saturday 5th October include topics such as the private IBCLC interacting with other health service providers (Nicola O Byrne, IBCLC); ending free formula in hospital (Dr. Genevieve Becker, IBCLC); choosing and using breast pumps (Ger Cahill, IBCLC); and assessing a feed/taking a history (facilitator to be confirmed), and Mary Mahon, IBCLC will facilitate a workshop on achieving and sustaining change in practice.
Conference participants are invited to submit research and practice posters for display, discussion and publication in the conference abstract book and awards.
The conference is approved for 12.25 (L & E) IBLCE CERPs and 5.5 Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (An Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais) CEUs (Category 1, Course Groupings 4 and 9). INDI CPD Approval has been sought.
Handouts, lunch and refreshments are included in the registration fee.
Early Bird rate (before Friday September 13th 2013) is €100 for members (for both days) or €60 (for one day) and €140 and €100 for non-members. There is a discount rate available for full-time students in relevant professions.